News Blog

Joe, Donna, & Ben

February 15, 2018 – Decorah & Cresco
Greetings!

Just as shopping locally is good for our local economy – supporting small businesses who are neighbors and friends, so too is banking locally. We know you have many choices about where to bank, both locally and online, so we work hard to earn and retain your business and trust.

The Bank had a solid 2017 with record loan growth fueled by some large ag and commercial projects. We couldn’t finance such initiatives without our good depositing customers which we appreciate! Thank you for trusting us to keep your money safe. When your deposit is made in our Bank that money multiplies many times over in the local economy as the bank provides loans.

Let’s say you make a $10,000 deposit, the bank holds approximately 10% in reserves to meet the needs of depositors wanting to withdraw funds and then lends out the other 90%. This $9,000 loan eventually makes its way back into the bank in the form of $9,000 in deposits. Banks hold 10% in reserve again and lend 90% of the $9,000, or $8,100 out. And this goes on over and over – $8,100, $7,290, $6,561 and so on. The original $10,000 that went into the banking system, through the issuance of credit, places nearly $100,000 into the economy. This is a simplification of what’s called the multiplier effect, and is how a bank works.

Our commitment to you is to offer excellent service and competitive pricing. If ever you think we failed in our promise, please call on us or any employee-owner and we will discuss your concerns with you.

Thank you for banking with us and we wish you a happy and prosperous 2018!

Leave a Reply